About the course
If you’re looking to study fine art at degree-level, but have already achieved A Levels, this preparatory art and design course will help you build a strong portfolio of work you can use for your university application.
You will get an opportunity to try many aspects of art and design within the fine art pathway. The broad experience and skills you acquire on this course will help you to explore your own potential. You will study traditional skills combined with experimental techniques, as well as contemporary art theory and practice.
You will also participate in an end-of-year exhibition of work.
What will I study?
The framework of the course is broken down into three stages:
- Learning skills and context
Art and design research methods
Art and design ideas development
Art and design materials and methods
Art and design evaluation and reflection
- Development and progression
Integrated art and design research, ideas and methods
Preparation for progression in art and design
- Final Major Project Proposal and Realisation
Project proposal and realisation in art and design
What will I need?
You will need:
- One A Level and three GCSEs at grade 4 or above, including grade 6 or above in Art or a closely related subject, or
- Two A Levels and two GCSEs at grade 4 or above, including grade 6 or above in Art or a closely related subject, or?
- Five GCSEs at grade 4 or above, including grade 6 or above in Art or a closely related subject, or?
- Level 3 Extended Diploma
- A portfolio of your art and design work
- A reference from your previous school/college
All applicants must have an interview to confirm that the course is suitable for them.
If you have have significant professional or other qualifications and appropriate work experience you may be considered and are encouraged to apply, as are those wishing to formalise their experience, or update skills, knowledge and understanding. In addition, evidence of personal skills and qualities through your personal statement and references will be considered.
If you have gained previous qualifications outside of the UK, you will need equivalent qualifications to those above. The equivalence of qualifications from outside of the UK will be determined according to NARIC guidance.
If English is not your first language, you will need to provide an IELTS exam report with a score of 6.0 (with a minimum of 5.5 in each area) or equivalent English qualification.
If you are applying to study on a Tier 4 General Student Visa, you will require an IELTS for UKVI overall score of 6.0 (with minimum of 5.5 in each element).
- Address City and Islington College - Centre for Business, Arts and Technology, 444 Camden Road, London, UK