This new course is an exciting route into a career as a zoo or animal keeper.
This apprenticeship has been developed by industry experts and is led by The Zoological Society Of London (ZSL) – London and Whipsnade Zoo, to be delivered in partnership with Capel Manor College. To apply, you must already be employed in an organisation with a zoo licence such as a zoo, wildlife park, aquarium, private animal collection, animal reserves, or a farm.
You will learn from both your colleagues in your workplace and your tutor at the College, receiving support and guidance throughout the apprenticeship. Your studies will include a combination of online classes, face-to-face sessions, assignments, a portfolio and assessments.
You will learn
- How to apply legislation and policies to ensure safe practices
- How to use animal welfare and behaviour to make adequate life quality assessments
- How to service, clean and manage animal enclosures to ensure healthy environments and health of the animals
- How to use diet sheets and how to interpret, prepare and deliver animal feeds
- How to best manage animals’ enclosures and enrich their environment in line with their natural history
- Strategies for managing animal collections, in line with the organisation’s conservation efforts
- How to take the first steps into zoo research and use the results to contribute to your organisation’s management improvements
- How to use record keeping for individual animals and enclosures management
- How to carry out supportive husbandry tasks such as training, vet support, and transportation
- How to carry out enclosure checks and other work area checks for potential or existing hazards
- How to ensure visitor safety and a positive experience
- The importance of stakeholder engagement
Apprenticeship Standard : Keeper and Aquarist
You must be in full-time employment in a zookeeping role. Apprentices are expected to have some prior basic knowledge and experience of the sector.
- Address Capel Manor College, Bullsmoor Lane, Waltham Cross, Enfield, UK